20071028

What a Sunday it was...part 1

Last Sunday I had one of the best days I ever had in a long long long time. I mean this day was spent with myself and only a few things could of made it perfect.

One, I was lacking my camera...I know I try not to go anywhere without it but I did the night before because I figured I didn't need it, which at that time I didn't (sat night) but sunday I did.

Two, a notepad/drawing apparatus. Those time when one sits and enjoys the world, one likes to draw and sketch random stuff, by not having one I felt naked.

Three, someone just to share what I was feeling/experiencing. And now no one ever will.

So lets recap what happened 7 days ago:

It was a cool fall day, winds whisking from the north-east. I had just woken from a slumber that consisted of sleeping on a nail filer, a Roots CD, 73 cents in change, 6 electrical cords, plus the hardwood floor.

With an energizing I headed out of Porter Sq. and headed into a City that I would later in the day finally call Home. Note you may wonder my city and home are capitalized, well because I wanted too have meaning for them. Boston has become my home and I finally fully realized that on this day.

the key to the whole day occurred on the red line, of all places. As I headed down the 60 feet depth that is the porter sq station I went over things I wanted to do that day. The idea of walking around my former turf was starting to feel like a good idea, and as I jumped on the T heading inbound I started planning things I wanted to do.

Until I saw it.

Since I barely get a chance to be in boston these days, outside working, I missed living on the beacon hill. I was right in the city in a prime location. Yeah my apartment at the time sort of sucked and was never anything special as well as an unprofessional landlord, it was a great place. But when I crossed over the Longfellow Bridge and saw the city I had takin photos of over and over again, I knew I wanted it to be a special day. And what better I thought then to not only see boston but to watch it as well. So I decided to go see Gone Baby Gone because Affleck(s) are awesome.

So that ended up being the center point of the day. I go into Boston around 1230 and went to lowes to get my ticket for the 2pm show. Lowes had been a main stream event for me and in the 5 years living in boston I've probably have been their close to 100 times. Once said ticket was made I headed over to the common.

The Boston Common. Natures Hell Hole, mainly at night with the bums and rats, although bums are everywhere. The common has its plus and minus qualities to it. In a park that I've played catch, frisbee, whiffle ball, baseball, soccer, tennis, ice skated, pumpkin festivals, Shakespeare shows and just stumbling around in general, it was never one of my favorite spots, although outsiders love going there and looking around and I did lead a band through there on a spur of the moment jon spina tour guide of boston, but overall never a big fan. But on this fall classic day it was fantastic. Blue sky, fluffy clouds, changing leaves, life.

I should also note that this whole boston experience is being provided by a soundtrack that is the dropkick murphy's lastest CD that I have on repeat and I think I can clearly say my favorite album of 2007. Prefect boston rock for boston walk.

After viewing the newly grassy parade grounds aka old puppy playground, I headed to Charles Street, the mecca of boston life that I once knew.

The streets look the same, same starbucks on the corner, same cross walk, same everything. but not the same to me. I haven't set my eyes on this area in over a month and a half. something that I would see just about everyday for 700 days, and now I don't see it, ever. It looked the same but new at the same time. magical really.

I walked down charles like it was my first with every passing moment of anticipation of seeing something new.

After passing landmarks that I have special meaning for I came to cambridge street. A place that had become more of my scene over my two year stay for charles was a little too much. As I strolled down it I could really see the improvements that I only experienced for the most part and heard all the wrong things with it, but with fresh eyes I was really impressed and can't wait for hell's road aka causeway gets its facelift.

this ends part one for now, part two tomorrow.

No comments: